STAND 217 - Jim Webster Pavilion
Wave Rock, a granite cliff, is 15 metres high and 110 metres long. Its rounded shape has been caused by weathering and water erosion which has undercut the base and left a rounded overhang. This happened about 60,000,000 years ago when it was exposed. Water from the springs running down the rock during wetter months dissolve minerals adding to the colouring of the wave. In 1960, some crystals from Hyden Rock were dated as being 2700 million years old, amongst the oldest in AustraliaVisit Site
The Wave on Hyden Rock is one of Australia’s most famous landforms, a giant surf wave of multicoloured granite about to crash onto the bush below. Stand under it and feel rock power from over 2,700 million years ago, before dinosaurs roamed the earth! Do you know where it is? Visit Wave Rock, Hyden, Western Australia for your Australian outback touring experience
- Walk the Rock Walks and the surrounding bushland.
- Wander among birds and animals of the area in the Wildlife Park.
- Visit the cave of Mulka, the Aboriginal outlaw, with his handprints roof.
- Tour the salt lakes, rolling hills and wildflower sand plains.
- Drive to the rabbit proof fence: the limit of settlement.
- Relax in the evening with the locals at the Wave Rock Motel
- Sail, swim or canoe Lake Magic, next to the Resort just 1km from Wave Rock.
- Take a walk around our Toy Soldiers museum and our Lace Place Museum